The mission of ICAPGen is to advance family history/genealogy work around the world by accrediting and promoting genealogy professionals who are competent, ethical, and reliable, and to support the preservation of and access to genealogical materials. The central functions of ICAPGen are:
* Recruiting, encouraging, mentoring, and educating genealogists.
* Testing each applicant’s competency as a prerequisite for accreditation.
* Requiring periodic re-accreditation to assure currency of skills.
* Stipulating adherence to ethical standards.
* Maintaining a public directory of ICAPGen accredited professionals.
* Educating consumers about the value, process, and complexity of family history/genealogy research and maintaining good-will by working with clients and AG professionals if a dispute arises.
* Supporting the preservation of and access to of genealogical materials for future generations.