Why Become an AG® Professional
The International Commission for the Accredidation of Professional Genealogists, internationally recognized as ICAPGen℠, is a professional credentialing organization dedicated to testing an individual's competence in genealogical research. The organization is administered by a board of qualified Commissioners with many years of experience.
In order to better facilitate and help all individuals interested in becoming an Accredited Genealogist®, ICAPGen℠ offers study groups to help better prepare for accreditation. Click on the link below to learn more about the ICAPGen℠ Study Groups.
LEVEL 1 PROJECT SUBMISSION DEADLINES (Project Upload)
- 11 January 2020
- 9 May 2020
- 12 September 2020
LEVEL 2 AND LEVEL 3 TESTING DATES (May not schedule until notified Level 1 passed.)
- Written exams and all retakes: 10-11 January 2020
- Written exams and all retakes: 8-9 May 2020
- Written exams and all retakes: 11-12 September 2020
ORAL REVIEW (May not schedule until notified Level 2 and written tests of Level 3 passed.)
- 14 December 2019
- 11 January 2020
- 9 May 2020
- 13 September 2020
- Level 2 & Level 3 are given on a Friday night/Saturday daytime test schedule. The first part of Level 2 exams are given on Friday evening. The candidate returns on Saturday to complete their Level 2 exam and take their written portion of the Level 3 exam.
- Retakes are scheduled as needed during the Saturday testing day.
- Those preferring to take Level 2 & Level 3 during different testing cycles may do so, but they need to take Level 2 one testing cycle and wait until the following test cycle to take Level 3.
- Onsite Level 2 and Level 3 tests are scheduled on the first scheduled testing date after applicant receives passing score on Level 1.
- Offsite testing has been suspended while we work out technical issues. We hope to have a solution by fall 2019. If you have already begun the accreditation process as an offsite tester, your 3-year time limit to apply for the next level will be extended accordingly.
- Custom on-site testing available for special circumstances. (Email the testing secretary for permission at email@example.com before paying fees.)
- Additional charges apply for custom onsite testing. See Fee Schedule for details.
- Our goal is to process ratings in a timely manner, however, rating each testing level is a multi-step process that relies on the volunteer efforts of busy AG professionals and their availablity.
- Please allow up to 6 months to receive your test results for each level. We will notify you if it is going to take longer than six months.
- Level 1 four-generation projects are blind rated by a minimum of three people.
- Projects are first rated for items found in the Part A self-assessment form. Projects that do not pass Part A are not rated further.
- If the project passes the Part A rating, two experts from the region of interest rate it for items found on the Part B self-assessment form. If one rater passes the project and the other doesn’t an additional rating is done.
- Level 2 and Level 3 written tests are graded by a minimum of two graders. If one grader gives a passing grade and the other doesn’t tests are sent to an additional grader.